Friday 16 November 2012

Lamenting my Love for Speed



Lamenting my love for speed
By
Carole Phillips

Speeding down the highway, a slow poke up ahead,
He’ll make me late for footy; I’ll leave this bloke for dead.
Pedal to the metal, the turbo kicking in,
Swinging into the passing lane, then an almighty crashing din. 

Struggling for a conscious thought, I hear the sirens scream,
Coming ever closer like a nightmare or a dream.
Flashing lights reminded me of a nightclub and my mates,
But abruptly realization hit, I was about to meet my fate.

Blood of life was ebbing out, my legs I could not feel,
The eerie bustling silence seemed suddenly so unreal.
Strangers working frantically to extract me from the wreck,
My final earthly notion was filled with deep regret.

Never to see my mother’s smile or the old man’s wicked grin,  
Never to feel my Nana’s hugs or the joy of a footy win.
Never to hear my sister tease or my best mates joke and skite,
I denied myself all these things, because today I took my life.

I took my life - not in anger, nor in a field of war,
An act of stupidity, impatience and much more.
Careless overtaking, exhilaration to be in the lead
Never to be going home; lamenting my love for speed.

No comments:

Post a Comment