Sunday 21 April 2013

Many Clubs, One Community by Maria Caesar



     Several years ago my evenings were spent at home watching a DVD and with little interaction other than with the characters on the television screen. Then one day I decided to step outside my comfort zone and meet new people. I enjoyed reading books. Perhaps there was a group of readers in town? I went to the local library and before long I had joined a book club. Afterwards, the book club provided connections to a writers group called the Bush Curlews. Writing stories just so happened to be another hobby of mine.
    From then on I was made aware of various other local clubs and art groups based within the town. There were several painting groups, the Pottery Club, the Towers Players, the Choristers Choir singing group, the Friends of the Theatre and the Don Roderick Gallery group, just to name a few. I soon discovered that Charters Towers has an abundance of clubs. It seems that almost every hobby and interest is catered for.
     If you like to paint, sculpt or photograph, read, write or act in a play, then there is a club that can be joined. If you prefer sports then there are numerous groups that cater for that category as well. From cricket to tennis, rugby to soccer, netball to basketball, swimming clubs, fishing clubs, dancing groups or the pistol club......the list goes on.
     Groups can meet daily, weekly, fortnightly or monthly and new members are always welcome. There is never an excuse to be bored while in Charters Towers; all you need to do is ‘join’.

No comments:

Post a Comment