Tuesday 21 August 2012

Maria's Success at the Food Tales Workshop


Maria’s Success
Food Tales Internet Blog
By
Maria Caesar


My first ever internet blog!
I wrote the first few paragraphs during a ten-minute writing activity as part of the Food Tales Workshop hosted by the Queensland Writers Centre and featuring Lorraine Elliott (of ‘Not Quite Nigella’ – Internet food blogger and restaurant reviewer). Approximately 25 people attended the workshop, only 4 dared to read aloud their work. My blog was selected for immediate publication onto the Food Tales website. The title was chosen by one of the other workshop attendees.

Like Lorraine Elliott, it took a while before I gained confidence in the kitchen. In fact, I only started cooking properly last year. No, I did not live on take-away, but I did opt for the pre-made, whack-in-the-oven packet-style food and as a result my health suffered.
After several months of learning how to cook with the aid of magazines, old recipe books and TV chefs, I decided I needed a key recipe to symbolise my newfound ability in the kitchen. The recipe that represented my transition was a Crème Caramel.
Growing up as a child, attending countless Filipino parties, I always remember how only one of the ladies in our circle of friends prepared this particular dish. My mother, one of the world’s best books in my opinion, never dared to try it and my sister, who it seems has been cooking since she was first able to switch on the stove, had tried it without success.
As the Crème Caramel was my sister’s favourite dish, I decided as a birthday gift to attempt to create it. If it worked, brilliant, but if not, I had a back-up plan of a box of chocolates and a bottle of vodka.

For the recipe and the rest of this internet blog visit the Food Tales website (see link)

No comments:

Post a Comment